Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Problem With Elephants

For years I was in a family business. It was started, and for many years run by my Mother. She was, and remains, a force of nature. Under her guidance our little company grew to sales of $60,000,000.00. Quite a feat for a woman who was told when she first started that she would fail. Anyway, she had many folksy sayings, most of which I have shoved into some mental file where I no longer have access. One day, after we had been awarded a fifteen million dollar contract with the 5th Army, our operations manager was freaking out about how we were going to take on an account that would double our size, was located in a totally different city (El Paso) and would require that we set up 5 new office locations almost simultaniously. She blurted out all these concerns during a meeting. My Mother, calmly and without hesitation answered "When faced with an overwhelming task you always remember that you can only eat an elephant one bite at a time.

At this time in my life I'm trying to eat an elephant and one of the bites I don't have time for is this blog. I plan to return in December when I have digested a bit of what I have chewed off lately. So, if you have enjoyed my reviews I hope you return then.

As always, go to the movies. I know they're expensive, but take the time to transport yourself somewhere fun, filled with love, or adventure, or just some new place.

See you in December.
marc

PS - Yes, we succeded in eating that elephant.

No comments: